Wednesday, May 11, 2011

End of School-May 6

Well, it's been awhile since you've heard from me, and sorry for that.  The end of school was a doozy.  In brief, I passed school on April 20th!  Got the diploma and everything.  :)  I wouldn't say that everything I did was worth all the pain and lack of sleep, but I got it done.  After spending a lovely evening with my class (I'm going to miss them so badly :( ) I hoped on a plane with Nic and Jess to Cairo, Egypt!  Woohoo, I'm going to see the pyramids!!  We arrived without trouble, figured out how to get visas ($15 US in the airport, super easy), and met Omar's friends Mohamed and B-something.  We headed to our hotel in Zamelek (a neighborhood), and cruised over to the Pyramids of Giza!!!!!  Awesome, awesome, awesome.  We had a tour guide for the very first part, where he explained the pyramids a bit.  We went into the burial plot for the architect of the pyramids, hieroglyphics everywhere!  Then Nic and I got on horses, and Jess got on a camel, and we made our way all around the 3 big pyramids, the 6 little pyramids, and the Sphinx.  It really is like a desert our there, and we had a great time.  Afterwards we went and had a really nice traditional Egyptian dinner with Mohamed at a place nearby our hotel.  We went back to our hotel later, where our friend from school Omar was waiting for us.  After dressing up, we headed out to a club where we did some dancing!  It was Easter weekend, which the Egyptians get a 3 day weekend for, so everything was packed!  Since the Egyptians we were with don't drink, we went and smoked hooka and had coffees at a really swanky coffee shop.  We finally got back to bed around 5 AM, and then we were up again at 10 AM to check out of the hotel.  I love the Nile River in the morning; so peaceful!  We were going to try to go to the Egyptian National Museum, but come to find out that it's still closed from all the rioting that happened during the revolution.  Instead we went to Tahir Square, and since it was Friday, we got to see some very peaceful protests.  We headed out to the Citdatel, which is where the city of Cairo was centered for a long time.  Lots of mosques, and a big tall fortress on a hill, with a great view of modern day Cairo in the background!  Finally we headed out to a VERY nice restaurant right on the Nile where we had dinner.  A great way to end our time in Egypt.  We headed out to the airport, and flew home.  Just in time for Easter!  I spent 2 weeks in the USA visiting family and friends.  :)  I sure didn't get to everybody, so I guess I'll just have to make a trip home soon!  On May 6th I finally started my trip back to Australia.  Only 31 hours to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment