Friday, March 11, 2011

March 11

Thoughts on Dubai:
Having now been to Dubai a 2nd time, I'm still quite perplexed by the place.  It's beautiful to say the least.  If you ever want to design a really strange building, you'll find a buyer for it in Dubai.  There were at least, and I do mean at least, 40 new buildings being constructed, and we didn't even go through the whole city!  Only the 'downtown' and west side.  There can't be that many companies that want to be in Dubai and people that want to move there.  I wonder how they've done in the economic slump; I suspect not well. 
It's still so weird to look around when you're in a crowd, and realize that no one you are seeing is a citizen.  I know it's a nice place to live, but it would be even nicer if they gave these people citizenship.  At least they'd have some reason to stick around.
I love, love, loved the beach.  I'll be back again for that.  :)  The Palm Jumeira (the man-made palm island) was beautiful, but I don't know that I'd want to live there.  Way too many houses.  It's like the California of Abu Dhabi, houses packed in like sardines.
Traffic is horrible.  Seriously.
Overall, Dubai is a city I'll visit again, but no way do I want to live there.


No comments:

Post a Comment