Friday, February 4, 2011

February 1

I forgot to write this about Dubai, so I'll include it here.

Having now spent 12 hours in Dubai, I'm a bit confused.  Everyone seems to love to talk about this city, how great it is, how built up, how pretty.  I'd have to disagree.  In the UAE more than 80% of the population is not native; most are from somewhere in South Asia.  That being said, I don't think I saw a single native Dubai person in my travels.  It's pretty sad in a way; it's a whole country of people that never know when their visas might get revoked, or their employer decides they're no longer needed and they get deported.  Even here at the accommodations where I"m staying, there's a nice girl from Ethiopia that has been here for 2 years without a vacation.  She gets one day off a week, I'm not denying that, but it's not exactly a pleasant existence.  All in all, I'm not saying Dubai isn't fun, but it's totally strange that every single person you see working, and pretty much anybody on the streets is not a native UAEian. 

No comments:

Post a Comment