Tuesday, November 16, 2010

November 16

Well, 2nd official day of work went okay.  I moved all my stuff to Jess’s apartment, since I’ll be living in the same building as her.  Got to work at 7:15, then in coveralls to go to the morning meeting.  Introduced to most of the Wireline staff, and then over to the engineer’s meeting where they talk about things they need/want for the next job.  I worked on my on-line training for the morning, then we got to go out into the workshop with the operator trainer, Tony, and pull apart a head.  The head is what connects the cable to the tools.  Spent an enjoyable 3 hours with them, then back to training.  Finally met Zane, our real boss, around 5:30 PM.  He was having a hectic day, since he had just gotten back from vacation.  Nice guy, I’m sure we’ll talk more tomorrow, after he’s a bit calmer.  We met most of our fellow Wireline engineers today.  Mostly Brits, a Canadian some Australians, and American.  We think there are some Latin American girls, but all the girls are out on the rigs right now.  We sit in a cubical kind of environment, with really low barriers, and I’m seated in ‘row’ of cubicals.  It’s not terribly nice, but it does keep me focused on my work.  We’re starting to get better about this whole taxi thing in the morning.  We are given little passes to the take the taxi every morning, at least until the girl roommates return.  Then we can borrow an SLB car to go to and from work.  Went grocery shopping with Jess, and bought $AU 33 of groceries.  I had fresh pasta and sauce for dinner.  Excellent.  Now I’m just going to show, get my stuff ready for tomorrow, and sleep.  We’ll see what tomorrow brings.  Good night!

My address is 80/131 Adelaide Terrace, Perth, WA.  Don't send me anything yet, because I haven't figured out if my mail is delivered to my apartment, or just left in the common area - like I've seen other people's mail.  If that's the case, I may be getting a PO Box.  Look it up on Google though, sure is a nice building!  My work address is 9 Searle Rd, and it's out by the airport.  It might not be on Google Maps, because it's still a relatively new area.  This whole driving on the other side of the road is a real mind bender, but I'm getting better about it.  I can actually stand going on a roundabout without freaking out that cars are coming right at us.  Right hand turns are a doozy though. 

No comments:

Post a Comment