Monday, November 8, 2010

November 8

Both an exciting and a boring day.  I slept in today, till 8!  Actually, that extra hour helped.  Perhaps I'll try getting up a little later tomorrow.  I talked to Frank this morning on SLB communicator.  Apparently China is not turning out as he had hoped.  The area is extremely dirty, he says he can taste the air.  He gets propositioned by prostitutes every day, and everybody talks Chinese around him.  He's the only ex-pat, and the one Chinese guy that he did know isn't very nice to him.  :(  I hope he can come visit for Christmas to get away for awhile.  He obviously needs it.  I went in and worked on my presentation on for the TLD - three-detector lithology density tool.  That's quite a mouthful, and I'm going to be saying it quite a bit.  Also worked on understanding the SLB proprietary software for well logging some more.  Boy do I have a lot to learn.  Khalil from Oman, Kazuma from Japan and I did our group log together in the evening.  Edith from Peru was our instructor, and we logged an open hole here at the MLC center.  Logging is basically putting a 'tool' at the end of a cable and lowering the tool into the well to determine physical characteristics about the formation.  Hopefully discovering oil or gas rich zones that can produce.  I will be doing open hole, which is logging before the well is cased, or cemented.  Casing a well seals off the formations from each other, and allows for the cased hole people to perforate, aka use explosives, to selectively puncture holes in the concrete and allow only certain oil or gas rich zones to produce.  It's pretty fascinating stuff.  :)  Tomorrow starts the first round of tool discussion presentations, which is 25% of my final grade.  I'm going to be paying really good attention, let me tell you.  It was nice to get notes from Nikki and Mom today, thanks girls!  Sorry I haven't been putting any pictures up, it just always seems to come down to a choice: sleep more than 6 hours at night, or put up pictures and sleep only 5.  I'm choosing the 6 hours of sleep.  Hopefully I'll get on Facebook after my course finishes.  Today we basically had a mini sand storm.  If that was just a mini one, then I hate to think how bad the real ones are.  My eyes are still very dry and gritty, and apparently, the dry season, which I'll be coming back for in January, is know for their sandstorms.  Great.  Interesting fact of the day: my instructor Edith is taking a leave of absence from SLB and is going to graduate school in petroleum engineering.  In Perth, Australia.  Haha!  Good night everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment