Saturday, November 20, 2010

November 20

Saturday morning was a little rough.  Needless to say, I should have taken more vitamin B12.  I did get some vitamin C today, so at least Mom will be pleased!  Got up and moving about 10:30 AM, and went into work till 4 PM.  Big thanks to coworker Dave for driving us to the supermarket!  Things have strange times around here.  The supermarket is open till 9 during the week and Sunday, but closes at 5 PM on Saturday.  Thank goodness we got there early enough to get some food.  I looked around for some kangaroo, but sadly didn't see any.  :(  Perhaps I have to go to a real butcher for that.  We found a fishmonger though!  I got stuff to make chicken korma.  Yum, maybe for Sunday night.  They have such interesting foods here, but figuring out if the prices are the same is a bit tricky.  Meat is way more expensive, WAY more.  The most economical thing I could find were chicken thighs, which is fine, because I like them, but roughly 1 lb of ground beef was $AU 12.  Holy crap.  I guess I'll be eating vegetarian most of the time...  Nick's roommate Jack volunteered to run us back to Jess and I's apartment building, so we took him up on it!  He told us there is a kangaroo reserve right by our place.  Guess where I'll be going tomorrow?  We found out that we live across from the Indonesian embassy.  Just in case that ever comes in handy.  Nick and Jess helped me move into my new place, it's 2 floors down from Jess, the same apartment.  I'm even staying in the same room.  Still no air conditioning, but I'll be buying a fan soon.  My roommates seem nice, but they were the ones that were out till 5, so I understand why they might be tired.  We walked over to Northbridge (I think I'm spelling that right), to check out what is supposed to be the best nightlife in Perth.  It was maybe 1 1/2 to 2 miles from our place, but it's a pleasant and well lite walk.  Perth always seems to have live music, and there were 2 stages set up with bands.  There are a couple streets with no cars, Hay Street is one of them!  (A lot of things are named Hay or Hayes around here.  Must have been a very popular British name.  :))  We walked by museums, galleries, the mint, the national museum, the city library, civic buildings.  The area we got to was pretty nice.  Lots of young people, cafes, diners, bars, dance clubs, and all this live music going on.  Definitely come back here.  We sat outside for a burger and drinks, but then called it a night.  Nick decided to try and see how the metro would be at taking him home, so Jess and I walked slowly backing, admiring the scenery.  We live in a pretty cool city, and it is growing on me.  Way too many kebab stores, and not enough clothing stores open late, but it'll do.  :)  Tomorrow, it's workout time, maybe a trip to Kings Park or Fremantle, and some good dinner making.  I hope Trygve has a great football game, good luck to Ben on his bike ride, and Happy almost Thanksgiving!!

No comments:

Post a Comment